Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pre-departure orientation!






Well, technically, this happened yesterday, but whatever, posting it today instead. So. After arriving at the hotel (and getting lost on the way there) my grandparents,mother,brother, and best friend said their goodbyes to me. I really am going to miss them, but I'm so crazy excited/terrified/ nervous/ shell shocked/ insane with emotions to be able to bring myself to care all that much (No matter how bad that sounds, I just don't want to make myself homesick and depressed by looking back at everything I left behind when I haven't h8is insane adventure rapidly coming up in front of me, y'know? Anywayyyss, after lugging my stuff to my room (Thank goodness it was on the first floor) with the oh so wonderful help of a girl named Samantha (Sammy for short) who I also found out was my roommate, we went back out to the lobby, and after about five to ten minutes of socializing with these awesome people, we were ushered into a really big ballroom/banquet hall type room. Did I mention the hotel was Mexican themed? It was really pretty, and I'm kicking myself for not taking more pictures OTL. So at first Floyd (Leaders name, he was really nice) Basically talked about AFS. Then, after standing up and giving introductions (name, where your from , host city, something about your host family) we plated th8is fun game where we would get a sticker with a persons name on it stuck on our back (ex: Angelina Jolie) and we had to go around and ask people yes or no questions to try and guess who our people were (and vice versa) It took me FOREVER to figure out my chick was Hilary Clinton. Screw you Hillary. you don't even knooooww. After that, we talked about how Americans are generally outspoken, and how in Japan were going to have a good amount of time where we're basically mute and will have to communicate. So we had to form a line shortest to tallest without talking. It was surprisingly easy, actually. Afterwards we had to form a line with the months and days our our birthdays in whichever order but this time WHILE talking. Eventually we had dinner (Mexcian food omnomnom I'm gonna miss youuu ;___;) And then we had a presentation from Yuki, a friend of mine who works with AFS and moved to L.A a while ago. She answered any questions we had about Japan and was just generally awesome. We were finally sent off to bed at about ten o clock, we were all pretty freaking' tired by this point. I took a shower first,and man did I hate the hotels shower. It was really.....temperamental. Anyways, Sammy and I wound up singing random songs with each other and talking about Japan until about 12:45. Have I said I like her? I really like her XD.

All in all, it was a good day.

Now for pictures!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, elizabeth! ^^
    I'm a friend on facebook of yours through justin m.
    I saw some of your posts on how you received a scholarship to go study in japan and I was sooo amazed!! I saw your post about your blog and I love reading it! Here's to more adventures in Japan! Looking forward to more blogs and posts on facebook! Study well and stay well!
    Carmina ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello
    As an avid otaku I stumbled upon your blog and I must say miss you are quite the amazing person, not everyone can win a scholarship to Japan. Best Wishes and I hope the best and for your safety.

    WoodenHeart3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth! I am so excited for your new life in Japan. You sound like you are having such a blast. And just by glancing through some of your previous posts I can tell you LOVE Japan even before you got your scholarship to go. Honestly I don't think there is a better recipient out there!

    I think I added you on facebook, because it seems like you update that more. I want to see pictures! By the way, we meet in Long Beach - we were delivering sacked lunches to people in hotel rooms by your house. Hope you remember <3

    ReplyDelete